Wednesday, May 27, 2009
It's the little things
Yesterday, our little family ran around town together for the first time since Liam joined us. Micah had a speech assessment at 10 a.m., and thankfully it was just blocks from our pediatrician because Liam had his first checkup scheduled for 11 a.m. (Don't ask me why they ended up being scheduled so close together - the best laid plans...) So we all went to Micah's assessment together, then Tim and Liam left at 10:50 to drive to the pediatrician. I stayed with Micah while his assessment was completed (more on that at the end of this post), then we walked the few blocks to the pediatrician's office. I find it funny that while I'm not technically allowed to drive yet, having just had major surgery and all, there's nothing in my recovery literature that says I can't walk outside at 11:30 in the brutal Florida sun, holding hands with my 21 month-old, and essentially dragging him through an intersection so that he didn't stop just to look at an oncoming motorcycle!
After Liam's appointment, we stopped briefly at Tim's church so that we could introduce to the staff our new addition and let Micah scarf down some french fries from staff members who were willing to part with theirs since they were all eating lunch. By the time we finally got home, we were all exhausted. Tim got the job of putting Micah down for his nap, which usually entails just changing his diaper and making sure he climbs into bed before leaving the room. When Tim still hadn't emerged from Micah's room 20 minutes later, I peeked in and this is what I saw:
And in that moment, I realized how much I love my life. My new baby was napping in the other room, and my husband and son were snuggled together, sleeping off our busy morning. It's simple, but so joyful when everyone is together.
These are the flowers that Micah and Tim brought me in the hospital. When Micah was born, Tim got me a rose, and now that Liam has joined our family, he and Micah went together to get me two. I understand Micah picked them out, but Daddy paid. :)
For those of you that are wondering, Micah passed his speech (and general behavioral) assessments with flying colors. He averaged a 100 out of a possible 102 score for each of the areas. We had a little talk with our over-achiever about missing those two points and he promised to do better next time!
Our worry has been that his speech isn't where it should be for his age. When he was tested almost two months ago, the assessers at that time agreed. In attempting to qualify for the state program, which we understand is very good down here, we had to have him assessed this second time. Although he averaged so high, when they broke down his communication score, it was the only place where he really lagged behind - significantly enough that even though you have to have a score lower than 78 to qualify for state aid, his score in verbal communication was low enough that it over-ruled his 100. Confusing, I know.
What this all means in English is that Micah will have speech therapy twice a week for a half an hour each time for the foreseeable future. I am really excited to have this happen for him. Each of the assessers that he's seen (two at each assessment for a total of four) have all agreed that he's extremely intelligent and just needs a kick-start to get his words caught up with his brain. We hope that this speech therapy turns out to be just what he needs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment